Saturday, January 12, 2019

Polar Bears

To began the week I read a poem to the kids.  I asked the kiddos to think about which animal I was describing. After a few guesses the children shouted out, "polar bear!!"

"I'm white and furry, 
and I swim in the sea. 
The cold snow an ice are just right for me. 
Who am I?"

We then read the "Polar Bears" National Geographic and started to write down polar bear facts.  We learned that polar bears are mammals, have clear fur, and like to eat seals! 



Polar Bear Sorting
This week we worked on sorting by color and by size. 



Polar Bear Race
It's a race to see which polar bear can march through the snow to the finish line! The kiddos rolled the dice and took turns moving the polar bears. 






Polar Bear Videos 
The Pre-K kiddos had the opportunity to watch videos of real polar bears in action! It was so much fun to see the polar bears walking in the snow and on the ice hunting for food. 


Polar Bear Craft
Exploring a variety of materials while creating a polar bear craft. 




Journals
This week we read a book about a polar bear mama who taught her cub how to hunt. I asked the kiddos to tell me about a time that their mom and/or dad have taught them something. 

Free Choice 
This week during free choice the kiddos had the opportunity to explore: rice in the sensory table, oil pastels, magna-tiles, play-dough and much more!  The children love free choice because it give them a chance to explore materials and activities that are interesting to them, all while developing social skills, fine motor and language development. 






Music & PE







Next week we will continue our Polar Bear Unit! 


0 comments:

Post a Comment